Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

casualty of an embargo

I thought my days of adventure were on hold because I have no International travel plans scheduled and currently reside in my homeland where everyone speaks my mother tongue. Then I get this email from the company that is supposed to ship our goods.

EMBARGO ON HOUSEHOLD GOODS TO USA

TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS,

Dear sir or madam,

We hereby inform that with immediate effect, SAA has put an Embargo on transport of Personal Effects and Household Goods to or through USA until further notice.

USA authorities appointed this commodity of high risk.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this measure may cause in your business.

Cordialmente,
Director de Operações

What this means to us is that we aren't getting our stuff from Africa any time soon. Why? Apparently my homeland has labeled my stuff "high risk." I didn't know that muffin pans, clothes and other household effects could be so dangerous.

I hadn't heard there was an embargo issued on the country of Mozambique. So, I did a Google search to see if I could find anything related to this in order to try and predict when the "inconvenience" might be lifted. Nothing. I came up with nothing.

Adventure found a way to re-enter my life. A cross-continent move isn't enough. On all the other moves our items arrived 10 days after they were shipped, following closely behind us. Not so this time. This time we get an interesting story due to a shipping delay that became a matter of national security. I wonder if it has any ties to the earlier sanctions on Mozambique due to the kingpin law? Or is this just some other issue of national security? Things that make you go, hmmm...

Maybe I'll start a count on my blog of the number of days (at this point it has already been weeks) that it takes for our stuff to arrive...maybe.

Just Sheri, apparently a magnet for adventure

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheri,

    Have you found out any more news on the embargo? I am trying to arrange for shipping of stuf from Zambia to US, but no-one seems to know when the embargo will lift.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No word on when the embargo will be lifted. My shipping company did find a route through Europe, but it is quite a bit more expensive - but possible. We are still in the waiting game.

    ReplyDelete