Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Lessons from my father

I could write a whole book about all I have learned from the man I consider my father. He has taught me about car maintenance, cooking, how to be a person of character, how to serve others, and so much more. Much of this was by demonstration rather than lecture. What is really amazing is that he is not my birth father - but he has been just like a father should be.

Most recently I have been grateful to him for the lessons he taught me on financial responsibility. He has a terrible distaste for debt and while his job as a manual laborer never earned him a high salary, nor paid benefits, he always had savings and was generous with others.

Today, there are two primary things I do with the money I earn: 1) I save and 2) I give.

Because that is what he taught me to do.

I haven't had a credit card balance in over 15 years. I have a credit card and I use my credit card, but I never carry a balance. In fact, in all those years I have not paid a single dollar in fees or interest to any credit card provider because I pay off the balance before the bill is due.

Other than our mortgage, I have no debt. We bought both of our cars used and with cash.

I consider myself frugal, but not cheap. What's the difference? I will still splurge on a nice evening out with the Hubs. At least once a year I take a vacation that includes exotic destinations. But frugality is a lifestyle. The majority of the furniture in our home is used, with a few newer pieces purchased from discount stores/vendors. When we take a cruise vacation I opt for an inside cabin rather than paying hundreds more for a balcony room. Travel destinations often include visiting friends, which means we can save money by staying with them rather than paying for a hotel (granted, I am lucky enough to have friends who live in places like Australia, China, Dubai, and South Africa).

My father taught me to be prudent with my hard earned dollars. To live within my means. To save for the future and things I want. I am grateful to him, because putting these lessons in to practice has brought financial freedom, regardless of the salary I receive.

Last year when the Hubs was unemployed for a series of months, we were fine because we had savings. I am now facing the very real possibility of unemployment by fall. I was talking to my father about this reality and discussing options for the future. During the conversation I thanked him for teaching me how to manage money, it is a gift that has served me well in life.

Because he is my dad and he loves me, he also said, "if things get too rough, you always have a home with me."

just Sheri, daddy's girl

No comments:

Post a Comment