Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

encouragement to parents

Study, after study, after study, after study shows that parents have a HUGE influence on their children. Children are listening even when they don't appear to be and they are ALWAYS watching.

I recently had a conversation with my mom that is worth mentioning. Why? Because it demonstrates that parents have incredible influence.

My mom was a VERY intentional parent in my childhood. She wanted me to be creative, a leader - and as a female to find my value in things other than appearance. How did she do this? She changed the words of children's songs to get her point across. She made up her own songs. She limited TV time and she complimented good choices. I had a lot of friends with incredible wealth, who's parents gave them everything their little hearts desired. We did not have means for that, so instead my mom taught me the emptiness of possessions and the value of character.

Who I am today is very much shaped by those lessons. A recent posts on this blog inspired this conversation...life without television. I learned this lesson as a young person. My life choices have reinforced it. It is not the only lesson I learned as a kid that has stuck with me.

Parents - don't be discouraged. You have incredible influence.

Proverbs 22:6
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.


just Sheri, a product of the investment of others


No comments:

Post a Comment