Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

iCooked: Thanksgiving Dinner cranberry sauce

The Thanksgiving holiday is uniquely American...and it is one of the things I love about my homeland. A whole day devoted to gratitude is a wonderful thing. It is one of those holidays where the only agenda is good food and time with family and friends. It is one of the things I miss about my homeland when I am away.

Somehow in my 34 years of life I have escaped the responsibility of cooking a Thanksgiving dinner. Not this year. Nope. This year I was cooking for a family of seven. Added to that my friend has dietary restrictions such as no dairy. Have you ever had to make a large meal using zero dairy? No butter. No milk. It is an added challenge. Over the course of this week I am going to post some photos from our Thanksgiving meal.

I am going to start with the cranberry sauce.

My dad has always made cranberry sauce from scratch. No jelly stuff from a can...only the real stuff when my dad's the cook. I used to think this was a difficult process, then I did it myself and won't ever go back to the canned stuff. If you haven't done it before, I recommend you try.

What did I do?

one package of cranberries
one cup water
the juice from one orange

Boil the cranberries until they pop. My sister gave me a good tip to cover the pot as the popping can be messy.

Here is the finished product. It made for a very tasty side dish for our holiday meal.
I didn't try it, but a second option would be to blend the cranberries, then add chopped pecans. I would still add the orange juice, but not the water to option two.

Just Sheri, glad to participate in a holiday dedicated to gratitude

1 comment: