Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2011

culture shock: talking to strangers

I realized something recently.  I can strike up a conversation just about anywhere...and it surprises me.

Apparently, I am getting better at overcoming my inability to engage in small talk. We have, after all, been in this country about nine months.  My how time flies!  I still have a huge gap in pop culture knowledge. However, I am not really motivated to overcome that hurdle. But, small talk isn't the topic of this post.

Lately, I have realized that while waiting in line at the grocery store or cafeteria.  While sitting in a waiting room at an office, or really in any public space, I can speak with and understand anyone.  This has not been my reality in recent years. I had become quite good at communicating using gestures and grunting, because I lacked the language ability to converse.  If I was lucky enough to know a word for something I would use it, but my vocabulary was limited.

At the end of a couple of random conversations with strangers in recent weeks, I left thinking what a relief it is to be able to speak with and be understood by anyone.

I remember during the food riots last year in Mozambique what a frustration it was that I could only understand bits of the local news and little of the chatter on the street.  I felt uninformed in important matters because of my weak language skills.

It is a gift to be able to strike up a conversation anywhere, without the barrier of language difficulties. Now that I am aware of this super-power, I may use it more often.

Do you talk to strangers?

just Sheri, suddenly conversational

No comments:

Post a Comment