Pages

Monday, February 09, 2009

25 Random Things About Me

This thing has been going around facebook for a while. Since I took the time to fill it out, I thought I would also post it here...25 Random Things About Me.

1. I am Hispanic, though that is never the first guess of those I meet...generally, they think I'm from India (my adopted homeland) - which is fine by me...if only I could speak the language!
2. Kenyon and I had two weddings (Overland Park, KS and Tuni, India) and four wedding receptions (KS, India, Missouri and Santa Fe, NM).
3. Our wedding was published in the paper and broadcast on television to over a billion in India. I have copies of our picture in the paper, but don't really know what it says since the words are written in beautiful Telagu.
4. We had fireworks and human flame blowers at our reception in India; Mariachi's at the reception in Santa Fe.


5. Kenyon and I met in a bar, though neither of us drink alcohol. We knew from our first date that we wanted to get married, and a year later, to the day, we were.
6. I love to travel (that one is obvious, but worth mentioning)
7. I live in North Carolina, I use that term loosely because since I moved here I visit less than 50% of the time - I consider it just another stop on the world tour. So, it's more accurate to say my stuff resides in North Carolina and I pay rent there.
8. My brother and his wife were professional dancers until recently.
9. My mom sings, acts, and even did a stint as a stand up comic...she was also featured on America's Funniest People once (remember that show) barking like a dog and dressed as a baby. 10. My two favorite foods are peanut butter and green chili (Hatch, New Mexico variety) - but not together.
11. Santa Fe (my hometown) is still one of the most unique places I've seen and one of my favorite places to visit.
12. I haven't paid for an international plane ticket since 2004.
13. I've been in school most of my life and would go back, if time permitted, to finish my PhD, which I am saying is "postponed" for now.
14. In 2008, I visited 21 countries.
15. My best friends live in Kansas City, Virginia, China and Dubai and I see each of them at least once per year.
16. I love to read, it is rare that I don't have something I'm reading...usually I have more than one thing I'm reading any given week.
17. I love a challenge! If someone says I shouldn't do something or that something can't be done, that gets my juices going and I try to figure out how to overcome the challenge they just laid before me.
18. I could easily be an adrenaline junkie...I've jumped out of a plane twice and would do it again in a heartbeat. I've wanted to own my own motorcycle for years, but my loved ones have banned me from it.
19. I feel less stressed and sleep better when I exercise regularly, unfortunately my schedule is so chaotic routines of any sort are lost.
20. I am a penny pincher...won't pay for cable because I consider it a waste of money, rarely rent movies and check them out from the library for free instead, buy groceries at Wal-mart and keep clothes for years regardless of the fashion.
21. I have a dresser in my bedroom that I've had since I was a little girl, when my parents divorced it was left on our porch by a stranger...I keep it because it reminds me of God's provision for our needs in unexpected and tangible ways.
22. I have a book shelf and desk in my living room that were purchased with a small inheritance I received from my step-dad when his dad died...it wasn't about the money, these are remindres to me that God puts the lonely in families (Psalms 68:6)
23. I was legally adopted at 28 years old by my step-dad. My attorney had to do some research because he'd never done an adult adoption before. Then my good friend Fiona threw me an adoption party at her house with an "it's a girl" sign hanging over the garage. People gave us all kinds of amazing gifts at the party to commemorate the occasion - I wouldn't of known what to bring to an adult adoption party, but I loved their creativity.
24. I love my husband very much - even when he's being contrary (if you've spent any time with him you know what I'm talking about). I never thought I'd find a man so supportive of my calling and willing to sacrifice so much so I could pursue it...I am eternally grateful for him and his companionship.
25. I hope one day to write a book. I have been told by many for most of my life that I should write a book...maybe someday...but I find it very hard to pick a topic - how God can heal a broken person, discovering and responding to a calling to impact the world, travel adventure stories, best practices to help people overcome poverty, or something else? I figure when it's the right time, I'll know.

Do any of these surprise you? Tell me something random about you.

3 comments:

  1. This is your mom. It was kind of hard to randomly pick a random thing about myself, but here is one that I came up with: When I was a little girl about 10-ish, I used to listen to music and choreograph a routine for everything and then I would have my sisters and cousins learn the routines and perform them.

    That reminded me of a couple of others: When I was a little girl, instead of watching TV with my family, I would read the Encyclopedias and Dictionary. I was intrigued especially by antonyms and synonyms. I would also look up "Dogs" in the Encyclopedia and learned all about different breeds and drew pictures of them. I once made a big picture, on X-ray paper that my chiropractor father brought home, of a dog show, with all the different types of dogs. I also used to write stories and draw my own illustrations.

    A significant memory is when I used to sit and look at the pictures in our giant family bible alot. I got in trouble with a priest at school when he came storming into our 3rd grade classroom, angry that some people did not believe that the Eucharist host actually became the body of Christ. I innocently raised my hand and said that I saw in our family Bible a picture of Jesus and his disciples at the Last Supper and that He said to take communion in "remembrance of him." The priest almost popped a vein in his neck. He was so angry. He pointed his finger at me, called me a heretic and sent me out of the room. Catholic school was a trip..lots of dysfunctional memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correction to previous memory. It was not 3rd grade, it was 6th grade. All these years run together anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I am on a roll: The story of Helen Keller made a huge impression on me. To this day, I consider the movie, "The Miracle Worker" about Helen's teacher, to be one of my favorites. I first saw it when I was about 9 or 10. When my sisters and/or cousins were seated at the dinner table eating their food, I would come in pretending to be the young blind, deaf, and spoiled Helen Keller. I would proceed to each person's plate of food and make grunting noises, smear the food around with my hands, eat it sloppily and hit them on their arms, faces, grunting asking for more. If they tried to stop me, I would throw myself on the floor and have a tantrum. It was quite the show. Lots of laughs...now that I look back, I am quite amazed that I could stay in character the whole time.

    ReplyDelete