Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Summit - pick yourself

Speaker:  Seth Godin

Seth is best known for his popular blog and entertaining public speaking. I have heard him speak before on Ted Talks. His talk at the Summit is the one that has been the most challenging to me personally.

Because Seth is a creative type, he talked about art. He defines art as; the risky human act of doing something you haven't done before.

He contrasts this with the concept of mass production. Mass production is made up of interchangeable parts and interchangeable people. That is not art.

He challenged the audience to figure out how to rise to the top and to solve interesting problems. He pointed out that the current mindset is that we only do what we are asked and we wait to get picked. His response: "pick yourself."

He also informed us that it is impossible to do art and always succeed. However, at some point, if you don't give up, you are going to do something worth talking about. Unfortunately, too many of us are looking for reasons NOT to put ourselves on the line.

Then he asked a question that woke me up.

Q: How many people would kill for your platform? What are you going to do about it?


To me, this was the moment of reckoning. I have a pretty big platform. I have seen a lot in my young life and been afforded unbelievable opportunities. In meeting with young(er) people, I know how many would love to have walked in my shoes (at least the highlight reel, likely not the day-to-day). Those experiences give me a platform - what am I going to do about it? To be determined, but stick around. This will come up again.

just Sheri, ready to put myself on the line (again)

No comments:

Post a Comment