Pages

Monday, January 04, 2010

reflections: the year of greater love

If you've been following this blog for a while, you know by now that I don't make new year's resolutions. Rather, I have a theme for each new year. The theme really functions more as a developmental plan for my life. It includes spiritual, relational and physical goals. I always choose a fruit of the spirit I'd like to develop further to (hopefully) become part of my character, my being. 2009 was the year of Greater Love. Here are a few thoughts on what I learned:
  • Love is the only force on earth I know of that is truly powerful enough to change the world - one person at a time. It has changed my life and I have watched it change many others.
  • Love is not a commodity to be held tightly and locked away. It is most valuable when shared and given freely to others. I feel love most when I am giving.
  • True love requires sacrifice.
  • We use this word often in our world, but we don't often experience or encounter true love. When we do encounter it, the experience feeds our soul.
  • Love is shown by being there, present, in the moments of life that matter.
  • Simply put, love, true love, is not about us and what we get or how we benefit. It is focused on others and how we can serve them or meet their needs.

Because it is now January and I am coming to the end of the year of greater love, does this mean that I have it all figured out? Not even close. But, I do think I accomplished my goal of developing deeper, lasting love in my life. This quality is important both for my personal relationships, but also to be effective in my profession.

Come back tomorrow to find out the theme for 2010. Do you have any guesses on what it might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment