Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

unemployment rates: reality check

In our short time in America I am realizing that the posted unemployment rate of under 10% seems to be an under representation of reality...or maybe it is just that those I know have drawn a bad hand? I don't think that is likely.

As a cross-section of society, representing the young and educated sector (early thirties to mid-forties) unemployment is common. More common than less than 10%.

When leaving a dinner party the other night I realized that of the five adults in the room...only one was employed. One. Now granted, Kenyon and I were two of those adults so that is an unfair statistic...but I share it to make a point. Unemployment is common. Period. That is a bit scary when we are trying to re-enter the job market after a cross-continent move.

But, it does have me thinking a bit about the unemployment rate. Is it possible it is higher than reported and that there are people like Kenyon who have now been unemployed for years, thus no longer qualifying for unemployment benefits and possibly are no longer counted in the statistic - though still very much unemployed?

What do you think? From your experience, does the unemployment rate seem to be accurate?

Just Sheri, wondering about the reliability of statistics

No comments:

Post a Comment